Friday 1 November 2013

Cutting costs with my food shop.

For the longest time I've been reading about frugal living. The ladies in the states seem to have it down to an art form. I've seen women go shopping and get money back by simply using coupons.  Unfortunately in the UK couponing hasn't quite caught on yet. But when it does I will be ready!

So in my quest to save money I've been looking at ways to cut down on certain things. One of those ways was the my food shopping. I cannot tell you just how many times I've nipped into the corner shop just to get "milk" and have come out with totally unnecessary stuff.  It quickly adds up. So this month I decided to change up my shopping.

I set aside £40 a week for food and told myself that no matter what comes, that would be our budget for the week. I decided to shop weekly until I had figured out what worked for us. I also changed where we shopped. I love Asda but man I do get a headache just trying to choose stuff in there and I always over spend.

Enter Aldi.

I have always ignored Aldi for some reason. Don't ask me why I don't know.  But I had heard of people cutting their shopping down by half by simply shopping there. So I gave it a go. The first time I shopped there was last week. And gosh was it good. I calculated that my £40 shop would have been worth about £70 in Asda. And Asda is supposed to be the cheapest place to shop from the Big 4.

£30 a week saving makes a huge difference y'all. It is not a figure to be laughed at! It adds up!! Their vegetables are an absolute steal and I know that we are eating healthier now than we were before shopping at Asda simply because veges are far more affordable. 

Now I know some people will complain about the lack of choice but you know what? I love it. I shop quicker and I'm happy with the option they've given me. And the food tastes great. Taller hasn't complained once and neither has Smaller. We are all rather happy :-)

I hope I can find other ways to save but for now this is a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment